I Have a Complaint or Grievance at Work – What Should I Do?

Call the Local 500 office

You can visit the Local 500 office anytime between 9-12pm and 1-5pm. However, our Contract Administration Representatives are often in grievance hearings or other meetings outside the office. If you call first, (301) 740-7100, you will be put in rotation to the next available representative, receive a call back within 24 hours, and have some preliminary discussion about your case and arrange a time to meet.

If you have an immediate need for a representative (such as an investigatory meeting for possible discipline), please call ASAP so arrangements can be made for representation.
What to do when you meet with a Contract Administration Representative

*ALL documents relating to your case, whether or not you think they are important

*Your whole story. We would ask that you think about everything that has happened before you talk with us so we can get a clear picture of what your situation is and provide the best support possible. We are here to help you, so please don’t hold anything back. We are on your side.

*Be on time for your meetings, bring paper and pen to take notes, write down questions or other information you need to find.

*Please don’t bring your spouse or a neighbor, co-worker, or friend. If there is a language barrier, disability or other reason you believe you need assistance, we will discuss this with you to ensure that your privacy and representation rights are protected.

*Also, please don’t bring an outside attorney. If you would prefer your own attorney instead of representation from your Union, that is your decision, however, any request for your Union to interact with an outside attorney will first have to be evaluated by our Legal Counsel.

Did you like this? Share it:

Comments are closed.