In order to retain their appointments, all faculty covered by this agreement must either become a member of SEIU Local 500 or pay the agency fee, unless they fall into one of these exceptions (please note: exemptions may require documentation from the faculty person):
1. Members of federal, state, or District of Columbia judiciaries.
2. Faculty members who hold diplomatic or ambassador status. Documentation: Copy of passport or written confirmation from embassy. Documentation: Copy of passport or written confirmation from embassy.
3. Faculty members who are full or part-time employees of the International Monetary Fund or the World Bank Group. Documentation: Copy of ID badge with current contract date or written confirmation from employer specifying contract term.
4. Presidential appointees or non-career Senior Executive Service officials of the U.S. government, or foreign government officials. Documentation: Written confirmation from agency specifying contract term.
5. Faculty members who are not paid directly by the University and whose services are instead procured through a contractual arrangement between the University and the faculty member’s primary employer. Documentation: This could actually be confirmed by GW or written confirmation from agency or employer specifying contract term.
6. Retired full-time University faculty who have emeritus status.
7. Faculty members who are appointed to teach a compressed course (i.e., six weeks or less in duration).
8. Faculty members who establish that supporting Local 500 through payment of agency fees would create a conflict of interest with their non-GWU employment. However, these Faculty members are required to make contributions in an amount equal to the agency fee to a non-religious charitable organization(s) agreed to by the University and the Union in lieu of paying the agency fee to the Union. Documentation: These requests will be reviewed by the union case by case. Faculty should submit written documentation of what facilitates their conflict of interest.
9. Faculty members employed by GW in Virginia.