In order to retain their appointments, all faculty covered by this agreement must either become a member of SEIU Local 500 or pay the agency fee, unless they
fall into one of these exceptions:
1. Members of federal, state, or District of Columbia judiciaries.
2. Faculty members who hold diplomatic or ambassador status.
3. Faculty members who are full or part-time employees of the International Monetary Fund or the World Bank Group.
4. Presidential appointees or non-career Senior Executive Service officials of the U.S. government, or foreign government officials.
5. Faculty members who are not paid directly by the University and whose services are instead procured through a contractual arrangement between the
University and the faculty member’s primary employer.
6. Retired full-time University faculty who have emeritus status.
7. Faculty members who are appointed to teach a compressed course (i.e., six weeks or less in duration).
8. Faculty members who establish that supporting Local 500 through payment of agency fees would create a conflict of interest with their non-GWU
employment. However, these Faculty members are required to make contributions in an amount equal to the agency fee to a non-religious charitable
organization(s) agreed to by the University and the Union in lieu of paying the agency fee to the Union.
9. Faculty members employed by GW in Virginia.