University of the District of Columbia Adjunct Faculty
SEIU Local 500 is your adjunct faculty union at UDC. Below you will find your contract, contract highlights, as well as an online application to become a member.
Become a member
Click here to sign up today and become a member at SEIU Local 500. Your membership gives you a voice in your workplace, a seat at the table in negotiations with your employer as well as many members-only benefits, including discounts on retail, insurance, credit, and financial health programs. Sign up now.
View your contract
Click here to download a PDF copy of your union contract.
+ Read Your Contract Highlights
Our union contract contains many workplace improvements – giving us a greater voice, more support for our teaching and more transparency in how we are evaluated. The contract also includes increases in compensation for all adjuncts, as well as other financial gains. Y
- All current adjuncts will receive a $67 per credit hour increase above their current rateof compensation for all courses taught effective spring semester 2017 and retroactive to October 1, 2016.
- The minimum rate for new adjuncts shall be $950 per credit hour, effective spring 2017.
- Effective October 1, 2017 - all per-credit rates will increase by 2.5%.
- Effective October 1, 2018 - all per-credit rates will increase by a further 2.5%.
- A “Course Cancellation Fee” of $350 if a course an adjunct faculty member is appointed to teach is cancelled for any reason less than 10 days prior to the date of the first class.
- A “Course Development Fee” of $1,000 if the University requests and an adjunct faculty member agrees to develop a new course and the course is approved by the University.
- Agreement between the University and the Union to work together to develop a Professional Development Fund.
- Adjunct faculty shall be paid once a month during the fall and spring semesters and biweekly during the summer sessions, effective spring 2017.
- The creation of a joint Labor-Management Committee that gives adjuncts a voice with the UDC administration on our issues.
- Access to departmental services and support. The University shall make a good faith effort to have space available for adjunct faculty members to prepare for class and meet with students.
- The University shall develop a standardized performance review process for adjunct faculty. At the beginning of the semester adjuncts shall be informed by each Department of its performance review process, including performance standards and measures.
- An evaluation file shall be maintained for each adjunct and shall be available for an adjunct to examine. Performance-based feedback shall be provided to all adjuncts.
- The process for assignments is laid out in the contract. Classroom and teaching expectations and/or requirements shall be communicated before the course begins.
- The University President, in consultation with union representatives, shall appoint a committee to develop protocols for inclusion in a University handbook for adjunct faculty.
- Our union has rights on campus to assign workplace leaders and carry out union business.
- Our contract expires on Sep 30, 2019. We can reopen negotiations for a successor contract starting in June 2018 in order to be in tandem with UDC’s budget cycle